Sabtu, 01 Juni 2013

Beranda » » Dear Jeremy – your work issues solved

Dear Jeremy – your work issues solved

Dear Jeremy â€" your work issues solved

How can I begin to contribute more and progress at work?

I am 33 and have worked in software development for a government department for the past four years. My previous career, for six years, was as a police officer. Over time I discovered I was not suited to policing â€" I wanted a break from confrontational behaviour, and a more predictable work-life balance. I returned to university to do an master's in computer science.

Recently I have felt disappointed about still being in a graduate-level job while my peers have moved on to managerial level. However my line manager feels I do not demonstrate key skills, such as working with others, communicating and influencing. I have repeatedly had feedback that I don't show enough initiative, have poor networking skills and don't contribute enough at meetings. Part of the problem, I think, is that I am still thinking in terms of the police working culture: showing deference towards superiors and waiting to receive instructions. How can I change so that I can progress?

Jeremy says

I think it likely that you are at least half way towards an accurate self analysis. Taking instructions, with minimal challenge, must be a necessary part of being an effective police officer.

But I find it interesting that this was not your reason for leaving the police force. You didn't leave because you were denied the opportunity to take initiative; you left for other reasons. And this leads me to believe that the low-key behaviour your line manager has drawn your attention to â€" and which you seem to accept as fair comment â€" is the consequence not just of police force conditioning but also of your natural temperament. You have had four years to free yourself from any sense of cultural constraint â€" and have clearly failed to do so.

I strongly suspect that in neither job has anyone handed you a project you were expected to take ultimate responsibility for. And in your current role you seem never to have put your hand up and shown any interest in any such assignment. It's high time you did.

Rather than suddenly trying to appear generally more dynamic, which wouldn't come naturally to you and might seem odd, I think you should ask your line manager to give you a small but discrete project to manage. Your line manager says you've failed to demonstrate teamwork skills, influencing, communicating and taking initiative. To date, you haven't had to. But once you've agreed to be accountable for the completion of a given task, these become practical, necessary skills â€" without them you will fail.

My guess is you will rise to the occasion. With a concrete objective firmly in mind you will find yourself behaving quite differently. And when you've brought one small project to a successful conclusion, a path to promotion becomes altogether more likely.

Readers say

• I would observe others and try to gain an insight into what is required. I watch people to see how they operate: do they listen or cut in when people are talking; are they communicating face-to-face, sending email updates out, on conference calls constantly? What can appear to be a person walking round the office chatting can actually be subtle networking â€" take time out to find out what's happening in their world, while giving face-to-face updates to stakeholders or colleagues. gmoney_1664

• Many managers look to promote only those who work in the same way they do. In fact there are many management styles and they suit different types of environment and staff. If you are not appreciated, it is time to look for a new job where you may fit in better with the culture. Take your experience and move on. RDUK123

My first job has turned into a bit of a disaster â€" should I admit defeat?

I am struggling in my first job. I have been here three months, with another three months of my probation to go. When I started they said I'd be "learning on the job". Since then I have had two days of formal programming training, which was extremely basic compared to my day-to-day work.

My manager knows nothing about programming. I have asked him for advice, but he says I should talk to other people fulfilling similar duties. I have asked others for help, but few understand the work I am doing. I am frustrated and angry that my first job has become such a nightmare.

I am as qualified as other people in the office, but I feel isolated as my role is unique. I feel unsupported and am regularly made to feel like an idiot. Moreover, my manager has posted two vacancies â€" one which sounds remarkably similar to my role. Should I cut my losses and leave at the end of my probation, or will I look inadequate? When do I admit I have simply been defeated and move on to a less challenging career?

Jeremy says

Unless you are a sublimely confident person, which clearly you're not, first jobs can be confusing. In your case you are torn between believing you have been given inadequate support and training, and wondering if you've made an ill-advised career choice.

Please don't judge an entire industry on the basis of three months' experience at one company. Nothing you've experienced should convince you that you should "move on to a less challenging career". Yes, you're floundering a bit; that's common enough when starting out. But it's also fairly obvious that your company â€" and your manager â€" are out of their depth as well.

But you do need to stop feeling sorry for yourself. A good degree may be a necessary qualification for getting a job; but it's never, of itself, a qualification for doing a job. Do everything you can in the next three months to overcome the problems you describe. At the same time, research other companies that seem more likely to understand the nature of your work.

You'll find this difficult to believe but â€" looking back, whatever the outcome â€" this deeply unsatisfactory period will prove to have been invaluable. But not if you chuck in the towel now.

Readers say

• You're probably used to having fairly clear definitions of "correct" and "incorrect", and the time to do things properly. Work is often more about pragmatically muddling through. It isn't necessarily easy, but you may find you become happier if you can adjust your expectations to better suit the environment you are now in. MrCrane

• As a new developer you will make mistakes, especially when learning a new technology. It will largely be up to you to spot these, although if they result in a system that works you may not be able to spend time fixing them. Sometimes we know we produce code that is not optimal but simply do not have time to fix it â€" the good news is our management often has no idea, as they can't write code. ashvince

For Jeremy's and readers' advice on a work issue, send a brief email to dear.jeremy@guardian.co.uk. Please note that he is unable to answer questions of a legal nature or reply personally.